Magazines Project Manager
VIZ is a multi-media entertainment company specializing in Japanese entertainment properties for U.S. audiences. VIZ offers an integrated product line including magazines, comics, graphic novels, videos, DVDs and audio soundtracks. VIZ publishes over 20 titles every month including HAMTARO, YU-GI-OH!, DRAGON BALL Z, RANMA ½, POKEMON, SHONEN JUMP, GUNDAM and INU-YASHA.
Based in San Francisco, VIZ is one of the top five comics publishers in the U.S. and a subsidiary of Shogakukan and Shueisha Inc., two of the top publishers in Japan. VIZ is the leading publisher of manga for English speaking audiences, serving a growing market of dedicated fans of all ages. Estimating a core audience of nearly 15 million fans, the company holds more than a 50% market share of Japanese comics in the U.S. With some of the most innovative products in the industry, VIZ has expanded its offerings to its loyal fans through web sites such as www.shonenjump.com, www.animerica-mag.com, and its corporate site, www.viz.com.
Viz is looking for a Magazines Project Manager to join our team!
The Magazines Project Manager works closely with the VP, Magazines in effectively utilizing assigned magazines and magazine related products to maintain the company’s position in the marketplace, ensure that the company’s publications reflect the VIZ strategy, and maintain an engaged readership through the following duties:
1. Directs overall product strategy, market research and development requirements, and production coordination for assigned magazine.
2. Develops marketing plans that meet business objectives. Develops positioning and promotional campaigns to maximize exposure.
3. Collaborates with a wide variety of functional areas such as sales, editorial, marketing, design, and operations to execute specific marketing plans for assigned magazine and related projects.
4. Manages day-to-day progress of product marketing plan execution.
5. Oversees the financial model and ROI.
6. Conducts marketing analysis to develop new title acquisition recommendations.
7. Acts as primary liaison with Japanese licensors, including work with licensing approvals. Coordinates materials, including obtaining assets from Japan
8. Acts as primary liaison with U.S. licensees and other associated companies for cross-promotional activities.
9. Assists with general translation of reports, correspondence, etc. related to essential Magazines business communication
In addition to these typical responsibilities, may perform other related activities as necessary/delegated.
MINIMUM ABILITY, SKILL AND KNOWLEDGE REQUIREMENTS:
• Ability to speak, read, and write Japanese a MUST.
• Familiarity with Japanese business practices and structures a MUST.
• Knowledge of anime, manga, and related magazines/merchandise and industries preferred.
• Working knowledge of U.S. publishing industry and distribution channels preferred.
• Strong knowledge of consumer and channel/trade marketing, especially regarding marketing/media, consumer promotion, and trade spending.
• Ability to speak and write effectively in English and interact with culturally diverse clients and staff.
• Ability to experiment with formats which access markets related to computer games, the Internet, the World Wide Web, and other evolving communications structures.
• Ability to utilize Windows and Microsoft Word, and utilize appropriate editorial tools.
• Ability to work effectively in a small organization with an emphasis on teamwork.
• Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions for groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
• Requires significant attention to detail, very strong follow-up skills and ability to complete tasks efficiently and accurately.
This position does not supervise the work of others.
MINIMUM PREVIOUS EXPERIENCE:
• Interest in delivering high quality editorial services related to Japanese-produced comics and animation videos, computer game publications, or Internet-related publications.
• Experience in a Japanese business environment a MUST.
• Prior experience with consumer entertainment and media a MUST.
• Prior exposure to marketing and PR processes preferred.
Equivalent of Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university, with a record that demonstrates suitable preparation for this position.
WORKING ENVIRONMENT/MINIMUM PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS:
Primarily works in an office environment. Approximately 85% of time spent on the job involves use of a video display terminal; therefore, must be able to sit for extended periods and to utilize standard ergonomics practices.
Employees must adhere to all applicable VIZ policies and procedures. Regular and predictable attendance is required. Requires scheduling flexibility, therefore willingness and ability to work non-standard business hours, such as nights, on an as-needed basis, are required. Employees must be able to cope effectively with deadlines and multiple demands.
VIZ offers a competitive salary and an excellent benefits package including:
• Health (including chiropractic/acupuncture), Dental, and Vision insurances
• Life insurance, STD/LTD insurance
• Short-term and Long-term disability insurance
• Paid personal time off (PTO) – 17 days per year to start!
• Paid holidays – average 11 days/year
• Partially paid commuting or parking costs
• Fitness membership
• Educational reimbursement/support
• Full-time casual dress policy
Please send us your resume and cover letter. Please specify “Magazines Project Manager” opening when applying.
By e-mail (NO ATTACHMENTS!!!!!) to email@example.com
By fax – attn: HR DEPT to 415/546-7086.
NO PHONE CALLS!!!!!!!!!!!!